Date of Game


Apr 7th 2011

Wakefield U19s 1 Garforth Town U19s 0

Wakefield's under 19 side beat local rivals Garforth 1-0 at College Grove to keep alive their title chances.

The weather conditions were perfect for this 7.45 pm kick off. Both teams started the game with intention but the first half proved difficult for either team to get their systems of playing football to work. In fact the first half provided few chances for the home team and less for the visitors.

With neither team scoring they went in at half time wondering what they had to do to create chances.

The second half saw Wakefield return to the game in with a different attitude and as the game progressed they got stronger. Then on sixty five minutes a Wakefield player was brought down in Garforth Town's box. This resulted in a penalty being awarded. Conor Glavin found the back of the net to put Wakefield ahead.

Five minutes later Wakefield try as they may could not find the back of the net after four shots from inside the box in as many seconds. Wakefield had found their confidence and increased the tempo spraying the ball from left to right and attacking the goal. Left winger Liam Schofield came close to scoring on eighty minutes, but although Wakefield had dominated play in the second half they did not increase the score.


Feb 10th 2011

Under 19s Beat Pontefract Collieries

Wakefield's Under 19 side continued their good form with a solid 3-0 home victory against Pontefract Collieries.

This Thursday February 10th 7.45pm kick off at College Grove saw the under nineteen’s take on a good team from Pontefract, who before the game were above Wakefield in the league tale.

The game started well for both teams and Wakefield were unlucky not to go one up with ten minutes of play gone, the ball beat the Pontefract keeper but the liner had his flag up for offside.

Flowing football was being produced by both teams and it was a question of who would score the first. But as the game went into the last fifteen minutes of the first half Wakefield were well ahead on the play, but just could not find the back of the net, having said that the Collieries keeper made two saves in the first half that were top class. Then with ten minutes to go Collieries could have had a penalty.

With the second half starting with the scores even at 0–0, Wakefield were awarded a free kick, defender and captain Luke Danville headed across the face of the goal and left winger Liam Schofield poached the first from the far post ten minutes into the second half.

Liam Schofield started the move that gave centre forward James Kitson the chance to score the second, he used his pace and put the ball past the keeper taking the score to two nil.

Collieries did not give in making Wakefield work hard. But again the Wakefield players went up a gear and put the pressure on in the last twenty minutes, Collieries succumbed with five minutes to go, it was James Kitson who received a pass from Carl Woodhead. Then using his pace and balance rounded the keeper and netted his second.

Final score three nil to Wakefield with the managers man of the match going to James Kitson.



Feb 3rd 2011

Under 19s Hold Leaders Harrogate

Wakefield's under 19 side ruined Harrogate Railway's 100% record after holding them to a 0-0 draw at College Grove.

Thursday 3rd of February was a dreadful night at College Grove as far as the weather was concerned. But the spectators who turned out in the swirling wind and rain were treated to a top class game of football.

Harrogate came to College Grove bearing the title of league leaders. They were aware of the standard that the Wakefield side could produce and Wakefield did produce as they expected.

From the kick off both sides got into their systems of play using short and long ball passes to break down the defence of the respective team. Not being afraid to let the ball go to the back line and build up the pressure again was used by both teams to get into a position to score. The game was being played at pace and on twenty minutes a corner from Wakefield found Carl Woodhead whose header produced a top class save from the Harrogate keeper.

Not to be out done Wakefield’s keeper Ben Danby made a save diving to his right and at full stretch he tipped the ball round the post ten minutes later.

With the half time score at 0–0 both sides went in for a well earned rest.

The second half started as the first finished, flowing football played at pace with all players getting involved in the action. The end to end game produced some more near misses from both teams and if it was not for a brilliant performance by both keepers either side could have netted two or three goals.

In the last twenty minutes Wakefield applied the pressure and normally they would nick an extra goal or two but Harrogate held them to a 0–0 draw.

The winners were the spectators. In the stand and in the club house they were praising the efforts of the squads.

Jan 31st 2011

Under 19s Ease Through In Cup

Wakefield's under 19 side breezed to a 7-0 victory against Field in their much delayed cup first round fixture.

After a long lay off due to the adverse weather the squad took some warming up to get into their usual flowing game. Then with sixteen minutes of play gone James Kitson hit a left foot volley that flew into the top right of the opposition's net.

With their confidence building and keeping the ball low it was not long before Wakefield were awarded a corner. The ball found the head of Carl Woodhead who made the score 2-0 on thirty minutes.

Five minutes later Carl Woodhead was on hand to put a long throw into the box for Jamie Shirtliff to net the third.

With Wakefield dominating the play it was not long before they were awarded another corner that Liam Schofield floated in for Jamie Shirtliff to increase his tally to two.

The spectators thought that that was it for the first half but with just seconds remaining of the first half Conor Glavin made a solo run through the defence and increased the score to 5-0 at half time.

The second half started as the first half finished with Wakefield in charge and after five minutes Luke Danville showed his dominance in the air once again, but this time in the attack scoring a fine header to make the score 6-0 to the home side.

Field got back into the game and stopped the expected high scoring game developing. Then a bad back pass to the Field keeper saw Carl Woodhead intercept and score the seventh.

The under nineteen’s progress to the next round with this 7-0 win and face a well drilled side from Pickering.


Sep 6th 2010

Fantastic Start For Under 19s

Wakefield's Under 19 side opened their 2010/11 Northern Alliance campaign with an impressive 9-1 victory against Hemsworth MW.

The weather conditions were wet from the kick off and it rained for most of the game, but both teams were determined to play good football.

It took five minutes for Wakefield to hit the cross bar after a break from defence gave Conor Glavin a chance at goal.

Another attack down the left saw a shot from Nash Connolly go just wide of the post.

With twelve minutes of play gone Wakefield had found their system of play was taking its effect, when James Kitson took the ball and using his pace netted for the home side.

Two minutes latter Ryan Bent got his head on the ball from a corner to make the score two nil to Wakefield

On thirty minutes Nash Connolly was taken down in the penalty area after a left wing attack. Ryan Bent took the penalty to take the score to three nil.

Just before half time (forty minutes) a through ball gave Josh Burgin a chance that he did not miss.

Then two minutes later a pass from Carl Woodhead to Conor Glavin gave the midfielder a chance that he did not miss.

Half time five – nil to Wakefield.

Seven minutes into the second half saw Hemsworth head the ball into the net from a corner.

With the score at five one to Wakefield the home team attacked again and on sixty minutes Adam Sparkes (defender) towered above all others in the box to score from a corner, taking the score to six one.

Wakefield still applied pressure and were awarded a free kick some thirty five metres out on seventy minutes. Conor Glavin hit the ball low and it skimmed across the wet grass into the back of the net.

With the score at seven one Wakefield were still eager to score and another header from Adam Sparkes from a corner increased the lead to eight one.

The ever present James Kitson was to score the final goal, the ball was played out of defence and took a defection from the centre forward's shot before going into the net to make the final score nine – one to Wakefield.

Man of the Match Brandon Kane (full back)

Aug 22nd 2010

Under 19s Draw at Handsworth in Friendly

Wakefield Under 19s earned a 4-4 draw at home to Handsworth in their final pre season friendly.

The weather conditions were good for this pre–season friendly. It gave a selection of under eighteen and under nineteen year old squad members the chance to blend as a single unit.

The score remained at 0-0 until the seventh minute when Carl Woodhead converted a penalty, awarded to the home team for an infringement in the box, to put Wakefield ahead 1-0.

With some good football being played by both teams, Handsworth were the next to score from an attack down their left wing.

The scores were one each when the referee blew for half time.

Five minutes into the second half Handsworth were awarded a free kick just outside Wakefield’s 18 yard box. The re-bound off the Wakefield 'keeper was put into the net making the score two one to Handsworth.

On fifty five minutes Handsworth scored again to make the score three one to the visitors.

But Wakefield stepped up a gear and started to attack more. This resulted in them being awarded a free kick some ten yards outside the visitor’s eighteen yard box. The ball was floated in and a goal was awarded to Wakefield after a goal mouth scramble.

On seventy five minutes and leading the visitors hit the back of the net again to take the score to four two in their favour.

A through ball from the centre of the field found Carl Woodhead who pulled the score back to four three in favour of the visitors.

With just a few minutes remaining Josh Adinal scored to equal the scores at four goals each.


July 25th 2010

Under 19s Win In Opening Friendly

Wakefield Under 19s eventually beat Bradford 7-2 as The Bears fitness was a big difference between the two sides at the end.

The weather conditions were good for this pre – season friendly. It gave a selection of under eighteen and under nineteen year old squad members the chance to blend as a single unit.

The score remained at 0-0 until the twenty fifth minute when Josh Burgin put Wakefield ahead.

Ten minutes later Bradford scored to equal the scores. The first half was played in good spirit with both teams playing some good football.

With half time approaching (thirty five minutes gone) Elliot Firth side footed the ball past the Bradford keeper to make the score two one to Wakefield after forty five minutes.

The second half started with a number of fresh legs for the Wakefield side. But ten minutes into the second half Bradford were awarded a free kick out on the left. The ball was hit home by the Bradford centre forward to equal the scores two each.

The Wakefield side came back on the attack and this resulted in James Kitson scoring his first on sixty minutes.

The next goal from Ryan Southward was the goal of the match, he put the ball into the net after Wakefield took the ball on the half way line, and some one touch football provided the striker with the opportunity to finish off the move.

With the score at four two to Wakefield after eighty minutes of play, Liam Schofield took a corner kick that floated across the goal area until it hit the head of Adam Sparkes who headed it into the back of the net.

On eighty five minutes and leading the visitors by five goals to two Wakefield were awarded a free kick. Liam Schofield again drifted the ball in to find the head of James Kitson to head into the net to make the score six two to Wakefield.

The fitness of the Wakefield side had started to tell. Dami Omilabu used his pace to lay the ball off onto the feet of James Kitson who took his chance and scored for his hat trick.

With the final score seven two to Wakefield, the squad will be pleased by their performances.