News 2010/11 January - May


Date of Game  
May 14th 2011

Bears confirm Management Team

The Board of Directors of Wakefield FC are pleased to officially confirm the first team management will remain the same as the end of last season.

"Led by Steve Nicholson and ably supported by Will Ryder and John Pickup, the Bears were looking as strong a team as we've had in a few years" said Pete Bevils.

"the professionalism and the clear lines of communication both between the playing staff and the management and the management and the board has been seamless, impressive, and has undoubtably played an important part in fantastic team spirit in the dressing room" he continued.

"with this in mind we feel that we have the basis to push for at least a play off place position next season if we can bolster the squad with a couple of players. As a board we will be doing our damnedest to provide Steve and the lads as much support as possible in order to achieve this"

Steve Nicholson commented "I really enjoyed the four or five months since I took over, and therefore wanted to continue as manager. We've got a terrific set of lads and I've told them all I want them to stay for the coming season. If we can maybe add a couple of players in then I don't see why we cant be up there"


Apr 29th 2011

Wakefield FC 2010/11 Presentations

The annual presentations were held in the bar following the final home game against Curzon Ashton on Friday.

The winners were:

Most Improved Player - Brandon Kane
Most Man of the Matches - James Stansfield/Wes Milnes (shared)
Supporters Player of the Year - Marc Roberts/Danny South (shared)
Directors Player of the Year - Danny South
Players Player of the Year - Robert Tonks


Apr 29th 2011

Wakefield 0 Curzon Ashton 1

Wakefield slumped to a 1-0 home defeat in their final game of the season against play off hopefuls Curzon Ashton.

The only goal of the game came five minutes before half time when Daniel Broadbent was the first to react to a quick free kick, superbly lofting the ball over Jan Zolna.

Wakefield defended well and forced Curzon to work very hard over the 90 minutes to secure the three points.

But The Bears failed to create many goalscoring chances and finished their final game at College Grove without scoring.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Marc Roberts

Wakefield: Zolna, Danville, Tonks, Roberts, Milnes (c), McGuire, Shooter (Ferguson 81), Jones, South, Kyriacou (Edwards 67), Hunter. Subs Not Used: Stansfield, Kane, Morris.

Apr 25th 2011

Wakefield 3 Harrogate Railway Athletic 2

Wakefield ran out 3-2 winners after an entertaining game against Harrogate Railway at College Grove.

The Bears were without Robert Tonks, Wes Milnes and Lawrance Hunter due to work commitments, but welcomed James Stansfield back in the centre of defence.

Wakefield took the lead in the 19th minute when Railway defender Dave Ward sent a cushioned header into the top corner of his own goal when under pressure, to give Wakefield a derserved lead.

Railway equalised in the opening moments of the second half when Steve Palfrey slotted home after Jan Zolna could only parry the ball away when under pressure from Darren Barrick.

Demi Kyriacou put Wakefield back in front just after the hour mark with a superb volley. Wayne Shooter's 25 yard shot came back off the bar and fell to Kyriacou who thundered the ball into the top corner from 20 yards.

Mike Duckworth immediately equalised again for Railway but moments later Josh Radcliffe inexplicably converted a low cross into his own net to give Wakefield a 3-2 lead.

The Bears safely defended out the last 20 minutes to secure the three points.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Demi Kyriacou

Wakefield: Zolna, Danville (Morris 24), Kane, Roberts (c), McGuire (Denton 81), Stansfield, Ferguson, Jones (Edwards 81), South, Kyriacou, Shooter. Sub Not Used: Nicholson.


Apr 23rd 2011


Lancaster City 2 Wakefield 1

Wakefield fell to a 2-1 defeat at Lancaster, despite another good performance with The Bears hitting the woodwork several times.

A mistake by Marc Roberts allowed Dave Swarbrick to run free and slot home the opener for Lancaster in only the second minute.

But Wakefield settled down and Lawrance Hunter skimmed the top of the crossbar with a curling shot from 20 yards.

It was Lancaster who extended their lead when Mike Rushton's run ended with the Lancaster midfielder neatly putting the ball past Zolna and into the net.

Wakefield were back in it just before half time. Danny South neatly slotted home a penalty after Robert Tonks had been fouled in the corner of the 18 yard area.

Wakefield continued to search for an equaliser in the second half with some good positive football.

Brandon Kane's deep cross had the goalkeeper beaten but clipped the face of the cross bar before bouncing off the base of a post and away to safety.

Wes Milnes thundered a header against the bar from a corner as Wakefield piled forward in the last fifteen minutes.

But The Bears couldn't find an equaliser and went back to Yorkshire empty handed.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Paddy McGuire

Wakefield: Zolna, Kane, Tonks, Roberts, Milnes (c), McGuire, Shooter (Ferguson 75), Jones (Edwards 72), South, Kyriacou (Denton 75), Hunter. Subs Not Used: Nicholson, Morris.


Apr 19th 2011


Wakefield 1 Radcliffe Borough 2

Wakefield suffered a 2-1 home defeat against Radcliffe despite another good performance.

With Wes Milnes and Rob Tonks both working, Wakefield fielded a back four of Brandon Kane, Luke Danville, James Stansfield and Marc Roberts. Delroy Ferguson was preferred to Wayne Shooter on the right wing.

The sides went in goalless at half time with Wakefield creating a handful of chances but failing to find the target.

Declan Fletcher put Radcliffe in front in the first minute of the second half when he volleyed in a high ball into the box from 8 yards after been left unmarked.

Luke Danville immediately equalised for Wakefield with a powerful header following a free kick.

Ben Wharton put Radcliffe back in front with 20 minutes to play when he raced clear having beaten the offside trap to lift the ball over Jan Zolna and into the net.

Wakefield made a strong attempt at finding an equaliser but the Radcliffe defence held firm and the visitors left with the three points.

Wakefield's best chance fell to substitute Tom Denton but his powerful close range header was miraculously kept out by Radcliffe goalkeeper Nick Culkin.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Adam Jones

Wakefield: Zolna, Danville, Kane (Denton 83), Roberts (c), McGuire, Stansfield, Ferguson (Shooter 81), Jones, South (Edwards 36), Kyriacou, Hunter. Sub Not Used: Nicholson.


Apr 16th 2011


Wakefield 2 Cammell Laird 1

Another impressive performance saw The Bears earn a deserved home win against their opponents from Merseyside.

Both Wes Milnes and James Stansfield were unavailable for Wakefield so Luke Danville and Marc Roberts both started at centre half. Brandon Kane played right back with Demi Kyriacou passing a late fitness test to start the game up front.

Wakefield went in front in the sixth minute. A quality corner from Lawrance Hunter was powerfully headed home by Luke Danville.

Cammell Laird were struggling to cope with Hunter's deliveries and it was from another corner that Danny South headed in the second goal via the underside of the bar on 27 minutes.

The Wakefield defence were solid throughout the game and looked to be on their way to a deserved clean sheet until substitute Josh Odukomaya snatched a consolation goal for Cammell Laird with the last kick of the game.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Danny South

Wakefield: Zolna, Kane, Tonks, Roberts (c), Danville, McGuire, Shooter (Ferguson 76), Jones (Edwards 80), South, Kyriacou (Denton 56), Hunter. Subs Not Used: Glavin, Morris.


Apr 12th 2011


Chorley 2 Wakefield 1

Two early goals led to defeat for Wakefield at Chorley, despite The Bears pulling a goal back via a wonder strike from Adam Jones before half time.

Wakefield welcomed Lawrance Hunter back into the starting line up with Brandon Kane dropping to the bench.

Chorley took an early lead in the fifth minute when Jack Dorney converted a penalty, awarded after a clumsy challenge from Wayne Shooter inside the area.

Mark Houghton extended Chorley's lead midway through the half when he curled a shot into the top corner from 20 yards.

Wakefield pulled a goal back ten minutes before the break in spectacular fashion. A corner was cleared and dropped to Adam Jones who was coming forward out of the centre circle to meet the ball. Jones caught the ball on the half volley and thundered it into the top corner from 40 yards out for what must surely be Wakefield's goal of the season.

Wakefield took the game to Chorley in the second period but could not find an equaliser. Demi Kyriacou glanced a header inches wide for The Bears in the closing moments and Wakefield felt they should have had a penalty deep into injury time when Kyriacou was felled in the area, but the referee waved away the appeals from the Wakefield players.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Adam Jones

Wakefield: Zolna, Danville, Tonks, McGuire, Milnes (c), Stansfield, Shooter (Kane 80), Jones, South (Denton 73), Kyriacou, Hunter. Subs Not Used: Glavin, Edwards, Morris.

Apr 9th 2011

Warrington Town 1 Wakefield 1

A wonder goal from Demi Kyriacou earned The Bears a point against play off hopefuls Warrington Town.

With Delroy Ferguson and Lawrance Hunter unavailable, Brandon Kane and Wayne Shooter were both handed starts on the wing. Wakefield were also still missing midfielder Marc Roberts with a troublesome knee injury.

Wakefield were forced into an early change after Brandon Kane, having only just recovered from concussion, was struck in the head by a Warrington player's knee in the opening five seconds of the game. Kane tried to carry on for 20 minutes but eventually had to be replaced by Tom Denton, with Paddy McGuire moving out to the wing.

Warrington were creating chances with some flowing, passing football, but their finishing was woeful as time after time they fired shots way off target.

Wayne Shooter curled an effort just wide at the other end and James Stansfield headed over following a set piece.

The play continued in a similar fashion in the second half, until Wakefield took the lead with 68 minutes played. Demi Kyriacou spotted the Warrington goalkeeper off his line and fired a superbly weighted lob over his head and just beyond his reach to land straight into the net from the half way line.

But the lead was short lived as Warrington were handed what some felt was a harsh penalty just four minutes later. The ball bounced badly as Shooter tried to control it just inside the Wakefield penalty area and struck the Wakefield winger on the arm. Chris Thompson sent Jan Zolna the wrong way from the spot to level the scores.

Wakefield saw out the final twenty minutes well to secure the point and continue their recent good away form. The Bears have now not lost in their last five away fixtures and conceded only two goals in those games.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Wayne Shooter

Wakefield: Zolna, Danville, Tonks, McGuire, Milnes (c), Stansfield, Kane (Denton 23), Jones, South, Kyriacou, Shooter (Nicholson 80). Subs Not Used: Glavin, Edwards, Morris.


Apr 5th 2011

Wakefield 3 Garforth Town 2

Wakefield came out on top of a pulsating local derby match against Garforth Town.

Wakefield were forced into one change from the side that beat Bamber Bridge at the weekend with Brandon Kane not fit to start after suffering slight concussion. Delroy Ferguson began the game on the right hand side of midfield in his place.

Wakefield raced into a 7th minute lead. Lawrance Hunter broke clear down the left and his powerful shot from a tight angle struck Garforth keeper Ben Higginson before looping into the corner of the net.

The Bears extended their lead on the quarter hour mark. A fantastic run from Delroy Ferguson ended with a crunching 50/50 ball with a Garforth defender. Ferguson came out on top and laid the ball to Hunter who was in acres of space 25 yards out. Hunter thundered the ball past Higginson into the top of the net to make the score 2-0 to Wakefield.

Garforth tried in vain to break down a resolute Wakefield defence and the teams went in at half time with The Bears still holding their two goal cushion.

Garforth came out at the start of the second half looking to get back into the game and pulled a goal back just after the hour mark when substitute David Brown coolly slotted the ball past Jan Zolna.

Seven minutes later the scores were level at 2-2. A deep Garforth free kick was met by captain Milton Turner at the far post. His initial header was saved by Zolna but the rebound fell nicely for him and he thrashed the ball into the top corner from an acute angle.

Wakefield were creating chance with several goalmouth scrambles ensuing. Dem Kyriacou poked a loose ball inches wide of the post, Delroy Ferguson was ddenied by Higginson after been put clean through on goal by a superb Danny South through ball and substitute Tom Denton had a great chance to score with his first touch, but headed over from six yards.

Wakefield were given their best chance to go back in front when Chris Fisher felled Ferguson from behind in the penalty area. Fisher was sent off and Denton stepped up to send Higginson the wrong way from the spot.

Garforth were denied a penalty themselves when the referee waved away their protests after a strong challenge from Luke Danville in the penalty area.

Wakefield saw out four minutes of added time to secure the three points, with Garforth having a second player sent off after the final whistle when Jamie Price was dismissed for a second booking for dissent.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Lawrance Hunter

Wakefield: Zolna, Danville, Tonks, McGuire, Milnes (c), Stansfield, Ferguson (Kane 81), Jones, South, Kyriacou (Denton 75), Hunter. Subs Not Used: Glavin, Edwards, Morris.


Apr 4th 2011

Presentation Night Arranged For Friday 29th April

The Club will be holding their annual presentations on Friday 29th April from 6pm, immediately following their final home game against Curzon Ashton.

The match will be Wakefield's last game at College Grove ahead of a proposed move to groundshare at Ossett Town next season.

The presentations will take place in the Wakefield FC clubhouse at College Grove.

The trophies which will be presented on the night and last season's winners are:

Supporters' Player of the Year (last year's winner - Marc Roberts)
Players' Player of the Year (last year's winner - Marc Roberts)
Directors' Player of the Year (last year's winner - Aidan Morris)
Most Man of the Match Awards (last year's winner - Marc Roberts)
Most Improved Player (last year's winner - Danny South)
Reserve Team Player of the Year (last year's winner - Ben Imeson)
Under 19s Player of the Year (last year's winner - Luke Danville)
Under 18s Player of the Year (last year's winner - Tom Varney)


Apr 3rd 2011

Bears All Set For Move to Ossett

Wakefield are on the brink of securing a deal to groundshare at Ossett Town for the 2011/12 season.

The Bears are only waiting for Evo-Stik League Management approval, after the Wakefield board have successfully agreed a deal with the Ossett Town directors.

Ossett are currently in a relegation battle in the Evo-Stik Premier Division and look likely to be joining Wakefield in the First Division North for the next campaign.

The proposed move to Ossett comes after The Bears were informed by landlords Wakefield Sports Club in January, that a lease on College Grove would not be granted beyond 30th June 2011.


Apr 2nd 2011

Wakefield 1 Bamber Bridge 0

Wakefield recorded a 1-0 home win against Bamber Bridge after coming out on top of a close game at College Grove.

The Bears were still missing Marc Roberts with a knee ligament problem and Delroy Ferguson could only make the bench after picking up a knock at Harrogate Railway in midweek. Brandon Kane started on the right wing in place of Ferguson.

The game started slowly with few chances for either side until Brandon Kane rattled the Bamber Bridge crossbar with a thundering volley from 25 yards.

Wakefield enjoyed a good spell of possession just before half time, but it was early in the second half when Demi Kyriacou headed Wakefield in front from a Lawrance Hunter corner kick.

Bamber Bridge tried to take the game to The Bears, but the home defence stood firm to record their third clean sheet in a row.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: James Stansfield

Wakefield: Zolna, Danville, Tonks, McGuire (Shooter 80), Milnes (c), Stansfield, Kane, Jones, South, Kyriacou (Denton 70), Hunter. Subs Not Used: Ferguson, Edwards, Morris.


Mar 29th 2011

Harrogate Railway Athletic 0 Wakefield 1

Wakefield came away with a much deserved three points from their visit to Harrogate Railway.

Marc Roberts sat out the game with a knee injury he picked up at Radcliffe Borough, Paddy McGuire joined Adam Jones in the centre of midfield. Demi Kyriacou was preferred up front to Tom Denton.

Wakefield enjoyed the better possesion during a lively first half. Kyriacou had a low shot tipped round the post by Railway goalkeeper Craig Parry and South fired a 30 yard effort inches over the bar.

The Bears were then denied what looked a stonewall penalty when Delroy Ferguson was taken out chest high by a defender in the corner of the penalty area. To the amazement of both sets of supporters referee Mr Midgley waved away the appeals from the Wakefield players.

Wakefield scored the only goal of the game with half an hour gone. A long throw was flicked on by Kyriacou, the ball bounced in the area and sat up nicely for Lawrance Hunter to volley it past Parry from 15 yards.

Jan Zolna kept the score at 1-0 at half time with a superb save with his legs after a mistake by James Stansfield had left a Railway striker through one on one.

Ferguson was the victim of another bad challenge before the break and had to be replaced by Brandon Kane at half time.

South headed a corner over the bar for The Bears before Railway were reduced to ten men when their central midfielder was dismissed for a second booking after persistant fouling.

Kyriacou sent a drive just wide before he was replaced by Tom Denton with fifteen minutes left. Denton almost had an immediate impact, but headed Hunter's cross over the bar when unmarked in the penalty area.

Wakefield survived a few nervy moments with Railway pumping the ball into the area in search of an equaliser to hold on for the three points and their third successive clean sheet away from home.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Lawrance Hunter

Wakefield: Zolna, Danville, Tonks, McGuire, Milnes (c), Stansfield, Ferguson (Kane 46), Jones, South, Kyriacou (Denton 75), Hunter. Subs Not Used: Shooter, Edwards, Danby (gk).


Mar 22nd 2011

Radcliffe Borough 0 Wakefield 0

A much improved performance from The Bears saw them pick up a well earned point at Radcliffe Borough.

Luke Danville and Lawrance Hunter both returned to the starting eleven for Wakefield with Brandon Kane and Paddy McGuire joining Wayne Shooter, Jay Edwards and Demi Kyriacou on a strong Wakefield substitute's bench.

In a fairly even first half, two good saves from Jan Zolna kept the score at 0-0 at half time, with Wakefield's best chance falling to Danny South, who broke clear but saw his shot well tipped over by Radcliffe goalkeeper Nick Culkin.

Wakefield enjoyed the better of the second half possession and looked to take the game to their hosts, but Radcliffe were always dangerous on the break with some swift counter attacks.

Zolna made two excellent stops to deny Radcliffe after two one on one situations.

Demi Kyriacou's attempted lob dropped just wide and Lawrance Hunter had a shot deflected off target for Wakefield late on as the game finished goalless.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Jan Zolna

Wakefield: Zolna, Danville, Tonks, Roberts, Milnes (c), Stansfield, Ferguson (Kane 77), Jones, South, Denton (Kyriacou 64), Hunter (McGuire 90). Subs Not Used: Shooter, Edwards.


Mar 19th 2011

Wakefield 1 Salford City 2

Wakefield suffered a 2-1 home defeat against Salford City at College Grove.

James Stansfield returned for Wakefield at the centre of defence after serving a one match ban. Marc Roberts moved back into midfield and Paddy McGuire started wide on the left in place of Lawrance Hunter who dropped to the bench. Rob Tonks also returned for The Bears at full back with Luke Danville unavailable.

A scrappy first half looked to be ending goalless, before Salford capitalised on a loose ball in the box just before half time, Mark Ayres reacting quickest to toe poke the ball home from six yards.

Wakefield enjoyed a good spell of possesion immediately after half time and were soon level, when Danny South planted a header past Andy Robertson after Tom Denton had flicked the ball on.

Wakefield went in search of a second goal, but it was the visitors who were the ones to score just after the hour mark. The hard working Jack Redshaw got his reward when his shot was adjudged to have crossed the line by the referee's assistant despite an attempted goalline clearance by Rob Tonks.

Wakefield pressed forward in an attempt to drag themselves back into the game, but couldn't find the back of the net and it was Salford who went home with the three points.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Danny South.

Wakefield: Zolna, Kane, Tonks, Roberts, Milnes (c), Stansfield, Ferguson, Jones, South, Denton (Shooter 85), McGuire (Hunter 90+1). Subs Not Used: Glavin, Horton, Woodhead.


Mar 19th 2011 Match report from Salford website.............

Date H/A Opponent Competition Results
Sat 19th A Wakefield F C Evo-stik League W 2-1





Another impressive finish from Jack Redshaw gave Salford City a 2-1 this afternoon – a deserved three points for the Ammies as they overcame awkward opposition and a bone-hard playing surface. That’s a first win in eight games for Rhodri Giggs’ side, completing a league double over the aptly nickmamed Bears into the bargain.

There was a defensive re-shuffle, with new skipper Darren Hockenhull switching to his preferred position at right-back and Matty Cross moving across to the left. Reiss Lee and Mark Ayres formed the central partnership, and their height would certainly come in handy against the towering Bears’ front men. Skipper Martyn Andrews damaged ligaments during Tuesday night’s draw with Mossley, so Gareth Thomas and Jordan Goodeve started in the centre of midfield. Adam Morning occupied his accustomed place on the left, with work-experience signing Steve Murty making his debut on the right flank as Russell Headley dropped down to the bench.

As we discovered at Moor Lane earlier in the season, Wakefield are a tall, physical side who play to their strengths , and they certainly started in determined mood today. Within the first minute the Ammies defence came under intense pressure and keeper Andy Robertson was called upon to make a good blocking save as the Bears went for an early goal.

It was to be a sticky first 10 minutes for Salford as their hosts looked to exploit the height of Danny South and Tom Denton, and it looked as if a difficult afternoon lay in store. In the 6th minute Wakefield put together a decent attacking move when Paddy McGuire’s pass released the nippy Delroy Ferguson on the right flank and he did well to make the line before cutting in towards the Salford goal. The cross towards the far post was a good one, but Adam Jones’ header was high and wide of Robertson’s right-hand post.

Throw-ins, corner and free-kicks were all used to drop balls into the Salford area during this early spell, but the visitors steadied themselves and began to deal quite well with the bombardment. They began to play a little bit of football too, despite the unfavourable surface, but it was a route one delivery that gave them their first real chance of the match. Robertson’s well judged long ball bounced its way into the Wakefield area but Adam Morning couldn’t quite make the contact he wanted and the shot failed to trouble home keeper Jan Zolna.

In the 19th minute Morning’s free-kick from the left almost found Ayres’ head on the edge of the six-yard box but Zolna came off his line quickly to make a good catch.

By now Wakefield’s early spate of attacks had dissipated somewhat, and Salford’s defence had settled down sufficiently to win the majority of their battles. At the other end they were beginning to use the width this ground offers and Morning, Murty and Jack Redshaw all looked capable of stretching the Bears’ defence.

It didn’t lead to too many chances initially, but as the half neared its end the Ammies seemed click up a gear or two as they looked for the game’s opening goal. With 10 minutes to go before the interval Redshaw picked up possession wide on the right and displayed some trickery as he weaved his way to the line before cutting inside towards the goal. Unfortunately the delivery didn’t quite match the intricate approach and Zolna was able to intercept the cross, but even so Redshaw had served notice of his considerable ability to cause problems.

The breakthrough came in the 41st minute when Salford won a corner on their left. Morning’s delivery towards the near post appeared to be flicked away from Zolna by one of his defenders, and the ball fell conveniently for Mark Ayres to prod home from a few yards out.

A good time to score, according to the lore of the game, and Salford almost made it two in the 3rd minute of time added on. Another free-kick was awarded just outside the Wakefield area and Matthew Cross’ 22-yard effort forced Zolna into a good diving save to his right.

An eminently satisfactory half for Salford who had ridden the early storm of high-balls before finding their feet and playing some good football in their opponents’ half.


It seemed likely that Wakefield would come out with all guns firing for the second half, and so it was to prove. The early pressure on the Salford area mirrored that of the first half, except that this time around the Bears had a little more success in front of goal. The busy McGuire collected the ball after a patient bit of build-up and his curling cross towards the far post seemed to catch out the Salford defence. South was unmarked and met the ball’s trajectory perfectly to nod the ball just inside Robertson’s left-hand post.

A blow for Salford, and they had to soak up quite a bit more of Wakefield’s muscular style of aerial pressure for a while. The defence stood up admirably to the challenge after the equalizer, with Reiss Lee in particular doing well in neutralizing the threat posed by the 6’ 8” Denton.

Again the Ammies came more and more into the game as they persisted in trying to play football on a hard surface that produced a somewhat unpredictable bounce. In the 62nd minute Morning’s left-footed corner from the right was pushed away from goal by Zolna, but he failed to get much distance on the clearance and Murty sent a 15-yard header towards goal. It was on target too, but Wakefield defender Brandon Kane had maintained his position on the post and was perfectly placed to deny Murty a debut goal with a headed goal-line clearance.

Just 2 minutes later Salford were back in the lead when Cross advanced a yard or two into the Wakefield half before curling a cross towards the edge of the box from the left. Redshaw’s run across the edge of the area put him in a perfect position to meet the pass, and his sublime first touch gave him half a yard of space ahead of his lofty marker. With the not inconsiderable form of Zolna advancing to close him down Redshaw lifted the most delicate of lobs over the keeper and into the net to notch up his third goal since signing for the Ammies.

Top quality stuff from Redshaw, and the next 10 minutes were lively as Wakefield tried to bludgeon their way back onto level terms. The Salford defence had more or less worked them out by now however, and although there were one or two moments of alarm Robertson’s goal was largely well protected. At the other end the Ammies were putting together some neat little moves of their own, although the killer pass just evaded them on a couple of occasions.

In the 73rd minute Redshaw received a pass and cut inside before letting fly with a 22-yard shot that brought a decent save out of Zolna.

Haydn Eames replaced Morning shortly afterwards to make his first Salford appearance since returning from Australia, and he was soon involved as the Ammies midfield scrapped for every ball in an effort to protect, and perhaps extend their lead.

Wakefield’s approach maybe doesn’t owe too much to the ‘beautiful game’, but it is always liable to produce a chance or two, and so it proved 14 minutes from time. Ferguson used his considerable pace to get clear on the right, skipping past an attempted challenge from Ayres in the process. He got to the line before cutting in on goal, and despite having options in the middle tried to beat Robertson at his near post. The Salford keeper was alert to the danger, and did well to get down and push the effort around his left hand post at the expense of a corner. The set-piece was swung over from the right and McGuire’s header was on target until Ayres headed it clear from just a couple of yards out from the goal-line.

Player-manager Rhodri Giggs replaced the hard-working Glyn Barker with a dozen minutes to play, and his side continued to defend diligently against Wakefield’s increasingly desperate forays forward. Denton had taken little change off Lee, especially in the second half and he was replaced by Wayne Shooter with 5 minutes left on the clock.

The Ammies continued to look the more dangerous side however, and with 2 minutes to play Jordan Goodeve lofted a free-kick outside Zolna’s left-hand post where the unmarked Giggs collected possession. His shot on goal was a good one, but the angle was tight and Zolna was able to push the shot outside his upright for a corner. Giggs himself delivered the set-piece towards the near post, and two defenders got in each-others way as the rose to nod the ball clear. Instead they contrived to nudge it into the centre and Eames planted a close range header goalwards only for Zolna to deny him with with an out-stretched left hand.

As we moved into injury time Wakefield pressed forward with renewed vigour, but the Salford defence held firm despite a couple of spurious claims for spot-kicks. There was no way through for the Bears, and the last chance of the match went the way of the Ammies. A long ball out to the right wing found Redshaw in space, and he spotted the unmarked Giggs in the centre before picking him out with an accurate square pass. The Salford player-manager had time to pick his spot, but the effort was just the right height for Zolna to stretch out his left arm and push the ball around the post for a corner.

Nothing came of that, but it mattered little as the referee brought the proceedings to an end, and Salford had earned their win with a determined and inventive performance.

It was a real team effort too, with the whole side defending, and getting forward as a unit. The defence did well against one of the division’s more awkward attacks, Gareth Thomas lead the way in midfield with a text-book terrier’s performance and the strikers and wingers stretched and teased the opposition defence whenever opportunity allowed.

Considering the Ammies have recently lost the tremendous presences of Steve Foster and Martyn Andrews they adjusted extremely well, and can now concentrate on securing that best ever league position for the season’s end.

With games coming up against struggling sides there’s a chance to put some points on the board, but the travelling supporters who cheered their team off know full well that things are rarely that simple for the Ammies.

Mar 15th 2011

Prescot Cables 0 Wakefield 1

A Delroy Ferguson goal early in the second half was enough to earn Wakefield a 1-0 win at Prescot.

Wakefield were without full backs Ashley Brooke and Robert Tonks due to work commitments, so started with Brandon Kane and Luke Danville at left back and right back. Marc Roberts slotted in alongside Wes Milnes at centre back, with James Stansfield sitting out a one match ban.

Paddy McGuire partnered Adam Jones in midfield with Lawrance Hunter and Delroy Ferguson starting out wide. Danny South recovered from a hamstring injury picked up at Woodley Sports to be fit to start up front with Tom Denton.

The first half was a scrappy affair with both sides struggling to get hold of the ball in midfield. A mistake by Roberts almost gifted Prescot the lead, but Jan Zolna was out quickly to make a superb stop from the Prescot striker, who had been left with a clear run on goal.

The best move of the half by Wakefield saw Adam Jones drive over after Denton's lay off. Prescot were reduced to some wayward shooting from long range.

The Bears came out after half time and took the game straight to Prescot. Some great work by South ended with him supplying a superbly weighted through ball for Delroy Ferguson to sprint clear of the Prescot defence and slot the ball under the goalkeeper to give Wakefield the lead.

Wakefield enjoyed their best spell of the game, before Prescot gradually took more possesion of the ball with several free kicks and corners helping them get the ball into the Wakefield penalty area. Their best chance fell to Tom Spearritt but his header flew over the bar.

At the other end South was inches away from doubling Wakefield's lead when his looping header brought a finger tip save from the goalkeeper to tip the ball over the crossbar.

Zolna had to be alert to grab the ball at the feet of the Prescot striker who had got away from the Wakefield defence late in the game, but The Bears saw out the four added minutes well to secure the three points.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Delroy Ferguson

Wakefield: Zolna, Danville, Kane, Roberts, Milnes (c), McGuire, Ferguson, Jones, South, Denton, Hunter: Subs Not Used: Glavin, Horton, Woodhead, Edwards.


March 12th 2011

Woodley Sports 1 Wakefield 1

A second half penalty from Tom Denton earned Wakefield a point from their fixture at Woodley Sports.

Woodley enjoyed the better of the first half chances, twice hitting the woodwork as Wakefield took time to become accustomed to the pace and bounce of the artificial surface.

Wakefield were dealt a blow just before half time when Danny South limped off with a hamstring injury and was replaced by Paddy McGuire.

Woodley took the lead through Nathan Neequaye early in the second period as the Wakefield defence was torn apart.

Wakefield then settled and deservedly grabbed an equaliser with 15 minutes remaining when Tom Denton squeezed home a penalty after a handball inside the penalty area.

Wakefield enjoyed the better of the play in the last 15 minutes and took the game to their hosts, but could not find a winning goal.

Wakefield also had kitman James Small dismissed from the bench for using foul and abusive language towards the referee's assistant with six minutes left.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Robert Tonks

Wakefield: Zolna, Danville, Tonks, Roberts, Milnes (c), Stansfield, Ferguson, Jones, South (McGuire 45), Denton, Hunter. Subs Not Used: Glavin, Brooke, Kane.


March 8th 2011

Fylde Pushed Close by Improved Bears

Wakefield were beaten 1-0 by high flying Fylde, but pushed their visitors all the way to the final whistle after a much improved performance.

Brandon Kane and Steve Nicholson both missed the game having suffered injuries in the defeat against Durham on Saturday. Wayne Shooter was also missing through illness.

Luke Danville started at full back after returning from a long spell out injured with Delroy Ferguson preferred on the right hand side of midfield. Danny South partnered Demi Kyriacou up front with Adam Jones starting in central midfield. There was also a place on the bench for Paddy McGuire who was another player on his way back from injury.

There were chances for both sides in an entertaining first half.

Glenn Steel met an early far post cross for the visitors but slammed his shot against the outside of the post.

South went close for Wakefield when his header was headed off the line by a defender.

A last gasp Danville clearance prevented a goal when the Wakefield defence was caught out before Fylde took the lead in controversial circumstances.

Michael Stringfellow was on hand to put a loose ball into the net from inside the six yard area after Jan Zolna had parried a close range effort, but Stringfellow was all alone and everyone in the ground apart from the referee's assistant believed he was offside, but the goal stood.

Wakefield pushed hard for an equaliser and had Fylde on the back foot for the rest of the game.

Demi Kyriacou twice flashed good opportunities wide and several goalmouth scrambles were somehow cleared without the ball landing in the net.

The Wakefield defence marshalled Fylde's skillful attacking players well all evening and although it was The Bears' sixth straight defeat, the improved performance will see the team travelling to Woodley Sports on Saturday believing that they can come away with the three points.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Robert Tonks

Wakefield: Zolna, Danville, Tonks, Roberts, Milnes (c), Stansfield, Ferguson (Denton 74), Jones, South, Kyriacou (Horton 88), Hunter (McGuire 65). Subs Not Used: Glavin, Brooke.


March 5th 2011

Wakefield Outclassed by Durham

Wakefield were outplayed as visitors Durham City ran out 4-1 winners at College Grove.

Amar Purewal gave Durham the lead inside the first quarter of a hour with a close range finish inside the penalty area.

Demi Kyriacou heaed in a corner to level for Wakefield before Andrew Stephenson gave Durham a 2-1 half time lead when his deep ball into the box flew straight in past the stranded Jan Zolna.

Wakefield also lost both Steve Nicholson and Brandon Kane to injuries before half time.

Captain Ross Wilkinson extended Durham's lead in the second half before the goal of the game from Elliot Cutts sealed the points late on.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Demi Kyriacou.

Wakefield: Zolna, Nicholson (Shooter 23), Tonks, Roberts, Milnes (c), Stansfield, Kane (Brooke 44), Kyriacou, South, Denton, Hunter (Jones 69). Subs Not Used: Glavin, Ferguson.


Feb 28th 2011

Late Comeback Sees Bears Lose at Curzon

Wakefield slipped to a 3-2 defeat at Curzon Ashton, despite leading 2-0 with 20 minutes left.

Adam Jones was missing for Wakefield with a dead leg, Danny South replaced him in midfield with Tom Denton joining Demi Kyriacou up front.

Curzon were deservedly reduced to ten men midway through the first half when Tunji Moses was dismissed for a horrific two footed tackle on South.

Wakefield outplayed a depleted Curzon side throughout the first half and Demi Kyriacou deservedly headed the Bears in front on the goalline four minutes before the break.

Tom Denton had a glorious chance to double Wakefield's lead, but his goalbound header bounced off a divot on the poor playing surface and landed the wrong side of the post.

Wakefield did extend their lead early in the second half. A jinking run from Brandon Kane brought a good save from the goalkeeper. Lawrance Hunter sent the resulting corner straight into the net around the under par goalkeeper.

Wakefield were then reduced to ten men when referee James Mainwaring adjudged James Stansfield to be the last man and showed him a straight red after he brought down a Curzon striker.

Shortly afterwards Chris McDonagh stole in to put Curzon back in it and then added the equaliser with ten minutes left.

Curzon continued to attack with subsitute Matthew Purcell causing the majority of the problems down the right wing.

Dan Broadbent headed in the winner for Curzon with two minutes remaining and Wakefield could not find a way back.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Lawrance Hunter

Wakefield: Zolna, Tonks, Brooke, Roberts, Milnes, Stansfield (c), Kane (Shooter 88), Kyriacou, South, Denton, Hunter. Subs Not Used: Ferguson, Glavin, Shirtliff, Nicholson.


Feb 26th 2011

Wakefield Lose 2-0 at Trafford

Wakefield fell to a 2-0 defeat at Trafford in a game largely spoiled by the officials.

The referee showed three yellow cards to Wakefield players for what looked innocuous challenges during a first half which was otherwise devoid of major incident until just before half time.

Wakefield's best chance fell to Danny South early on but he fired over the cross bar from inside the area.

Trafford took the lead on the stroke of half time, when Danny White scored although everyone in the ground apart from the officials thought there was a clear offside.

The referee pulled out of affairs injured at half time with the senior assistant referee taking over in the middle. A replacement qualified official was found in the crowd to take over on the line and play continued.

Trafford had the ball in the net early in the second period, but this time an offside flag was raised although most thought that this was again the wrong decision, and the score remained at 1-0.

Trafford had a strong penalty shout waved away by the referee and Wakefield looked set to be given a lifeline in the last minute when Tom Denton was sent clattering to the ground in the penalty area, the sound of boot against shin pad could be heard all around the ground. The Wakefield players looked expectantly towards the referee for a penalty decision but unbelievably he waved play on, leaving Trafford to break down the field and substitute Scott Barlow to slot home the second goal.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: James Stansfield

Wakefield: Zolna, Tonks, Brooke, Roberts, Milnes (c), Stansfield, Kane (Shooter 76), Jones, South, Kyriacou (Denton 67), Hunter (Ferguson 88). Subs Not Used: Shirtliff, Glavin.


Feb 27th 2011 Wakefield Express report (website)

I was sent this yesterday from an AFC Emley and sometime WFC supporter:

WAKEFIELD Sports Club could move out of its College Grove home to make way for housing.

The club, which has been at the site for 160 years, has employed a consultant to look at possibilities for future uses of the ground and is seeking alternative sites.
It is currently home to Wakefield FC, a shooting club, hockey teams and its facilities are set to be used for Olympic training.

The football club has already been given notice it must vacate the ground at the end of the season. Wakefield FC is understood to be due to hold talks with other sports clubs in the district with a view to sharing grounds next season.

Bill Mayou, Wakefield Sports Club chairman, confirmed that consultancy firm Sports Solutions GB (SSGB) had been appointed to investigate new sites.SSGB is believed to be looking at the feasibility of selling the three-hectare site for housing to fund an expansion of facilities and a new sports and social club.The firm said there was no update on the plans this week.

Mr Mayou could not confirm what alternative sites the club was looking at.
My Mayou said: “We have no firm plans but we are always looking at our opportunities to make sure that the club prospers in the long-term.” Mr Mayou said a lack of parking facilities was causing problems at the site, where the club was founded in 1847.

Wakefield Jazz Club, along with existing hockey, shooting, squash and bowls facilities would be included in the club move, the Express understands.
Chris de Saram, from the jazz club, said any move of the club would be in the “distant” future. He said: “It is a matter of years before this becomes a possibility.”

Feb 27th 2011
Firstly we have certainly NOT been struggling to pay the lease - what Wakefield Sports Club have told the Wakefield Express is complete rubbish - the rent is totally up to date and has been all season. We have had a simple rental arrangement with the Sports Club over the last 5 years and have never been involved in a monetary way with any of the various sections within the Sports Club.

Secondly, the club is most certainly NOT up for sale/closing/anything else like that! We are actively searching for somewhere else to play for next season.

The only real bad news to be had is that Wakefield Sports Club have not renewed the lease and given us notice to vacate as they have other plans for the ground area.

But on a positive note we do have several possible avenues for a ground to play at for the next couple of seasons until we can get our own ground sorted - I am very confident that something will be sorted out and the club will continue long into the future.


Feb 26th 2011

Wakefield to Leave College Grove

Wakefield FC are to leave College Grove, their home of the last five years, at the end of the season after Wakefield Sports Club have terminated the lease.

The Sports Club have other plans to make money from the ground area and have therefore given the Bears notice to vacate at the end of the season.

The club are actively seeking a ground to play at for next season and onwards until a ground of its own is secured and built for Wakefield FC.

The club's directors already have several possible avenues for a ground to play at for the next season and are confident that the club will continue long into the future.


Feb 22nd 2011

Wakefield Outclassed By Promotion Chasers Skelmersdale

Wakefield were soundly beaten by Skelmersdale who moved up to second place in the league table.

Wayne Shooter returned for The Bears after passing a late fitness test. Another change for Wakefield saw Ashley Brooke starting at left back in place of Robert Tonks who was unavailable due to work commitments.

Skelmersdale played flowing football from the off and only last gasp clearances saved Wakefield on more than one occasion before the opening goal arrived midway through the first half.

The impressive Chris Almond's darting run was not picked up and he sent neat header into the net from 12 yards.

Ten minutes later it was 2-0 to the visitors when Matty McGinn's 25 yard free kick curled around the wall and underneath Wakefield goalkeeper Jan Zolna.

Wakefield tried in vain to find a response in the second period, but struggled to create goalscoring chances as Danny South and Tom Denton were well marshalled by the Skelmerdale defence.

The Bears' best chance fell to South, but his header was superbly tipped over the bar by Skelmersdale goalkeeper Tom Brocklehurst.

Skelmersdale saw out the second half well to earn their 2-0 victory, controlling the game for long periods.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Wes Milnes

Wakefield: Zolna, Kane, Brooke (Horton 80), Roberts, Milnes (c), Stansfield, Shooter (Ferguson 70), Jones, South, Denton (Kyriacou 83), Hunter. Subs Not Used: Glavin, Shirtliff.


Feb 15th 2011

Wakefield Slip To Defeat at Mossley

Wakefield lost 3-0 away at Mossley tonight and were unable to continue their recent good form.

Wakefield started brightly but were unable to turn their early possession into a goal and hosts Mossley made them pay.

Mike Oates put the home side in front on 25 minutes when a flowing move ended with Oates slotting past Zolna from close range.

Wakefield then struggled to break Mossley down and were unable to create any clear cut goalscoring opportunities.

Mossley doubled their lead in the 70th minute when Matty Kay converted from the penalty spot after Wes Milnes had fouled in the area.

Kay scored his second goal with a minute remaining as he thundered a loose ball in via the underside of the bar to make the final score 3-0.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: James Stansfield

Wakefield: Zolna, Kane, Tonks, Roberts, Milnes (c), Stansfield, Ferguson (Denton 65), Jones, South, Kyriacou, Hunter. Subs Not Used: Glavin, Shirtliff, Horton, Brooke.


Feb 12th 2011

Bears Ease To Victory Against 8 Man Prescot

Visitors Prescot had 3 men sent off as Wakefield secured a comfortable 6 - 0 victory at College Grove.

The Bears got off to a flying start with a goal in the first minute. Demi Kyriacou cross from the right and Marc Roberts flicked the ball on to Lawrance Hunter who volleyed into the bottom corner from 12 yards.

Wakefield extended their lead midway through the first half. Marc Roberts' free kick was spilled by Michael Langley in the Prescot goal and Danny South pounced to stab home on the goal line.

Prescot were then reduced to ten men when Freddie Porter was dismissed for a horrendous two footed challenge with studs up on Adam Jones.

A few minutes later the visitors had another man sent off when Liam Hollett was shown a second yellow card after neadlessly upending Hunter out wide on the left.

After half time the drama continued when Mark Calland was dismissed by referee Matt McGrath after picking up two yellow cards in quick succession.

Marc Roberts headed in from close range to make the score 3-0 to Wakefield and Demi Kyriacou slotted home the fourth with 25 minutes left to play.

It wasn't until the last minute that Wakefield found another goal, South scoring his second with a superb header.

Delroy Ferguson then slotted home the sixth goal in injury time to add to Prescot's woes.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Lawrance Hunter

Wakefield: Zolna, Nicholson (Ferguson 36), Tonks, Roberts, Milnes (c) (Shirtliff 63), Stansfield, Kane, Jones, South, Kyriacou (Horton 78), Hunter. Subs Not Used: Brooke, Glavin.


Feb 8th 2011

Bears Hold Witton To a Draw

Wakefield held a strong Witton Albion side to a 1-1 draw at College Grove.

Wakefield fielded an unchanged side after their impressive 3-2 win at Clitheroe on Saturday, but it was Witton who took an early lead at College Grove. Jan Zolna could only parry a strong shot and the ball fell into the path of Alex Titchiner who slotted away the rebound.

Wakefield reacted well and were straight back in it just three minutes later. A teasing cross from Lawrance Hunter bounced awkwardly between goalkeeper and defenders and fell to the feet of Demi Kyriacou at the far post. The Wakefield striker made no mistake, thundering the ball into the far corner from the tightest of angles.

The first half continued to be an even affair with Wakefield causing Witton problems when breaking forward, with both Brandon Kane and Lawrance Hunter both playing well in wide areas for Wakefield.

In the second period, Witton controlled possession with some intricate passing movements, but Wakefield always looked capable of scoring on the break.

Witton had two tremendous chances to win the game but found Zolna in fantastic form in the Wakefield goal. Ben Harrison's effort from six yards was superbly turned over the bar by Zolna and then Titchiner's low shot was turned around the post when the ball was heading for the bottom corner.

Only Chester have beaten Wakefield since the New Year with The Bears having now taken 10 points out of their last four matches.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: James Stansfield

Wakefield: Zolna, Nicholson, Tonks, Roberts, Milnes (c), Stansfield, Kane, Jones, South (Ferguson 72), Kyriacou, Hunter. Subs Not Used: Shooter, Glavin, Shirtliff, Horton.


Feb 5th 2011

Super Bears Win at Clitheroe

A first class performance from Wakefield saw them deservedly pick up all three points from their game at Clitheroe with a 3-2 victory.

Wakefield were unchanged from the abandoned fixture against Radcliffe Borough on Tuesday night. Demi Kyriacou partnered Danny South up front with Tom Denton finally serving the first of a three match ban.

Wakefield controlled possesion from the off with Marc Roberts and Adam Jones both excellent in midfield all afternoon. The back four once again looked solid with Jan Zolna rarely called into action in the Wakefield goal. South and Kyriacou both worked hard throughout the match and wingers Lawrance Hunter and Brandon Kane both caused the Clitheroe full backs problems.

Despite Wakefield's possesion, Clitheroe almost snatched an early lead, but Jan Zolna pulled off a tremendous save at full stretch to tip a headed effort around the post. Zolna's heroics left the Wakefield goalkeeper carrying an injury for the rest of the game, but Clitheroe failed to take advantage.

Lawrance Hunter superbly curled a right wing free kick into the top corner and Wakefield thought they were ahead, but the referee had spotted a push in the area that few in the crowd had seen, and the "goal" was disallowed.

Wakefield continued to be the better side after the break and took the lead on the hour. The ball broke to South 25 yards out and he unleashed an unstoppable shot that flew into the corner past the goalkeeper.

Wakefield increased their lead with 15 minutes left. Excellent work by substitute Wayne Shooter saw him break from midfield and feed the ball to Brandon Kane down the right. Kane controlled the ball well before coolly slotting it into the net from 15 yards.

Clitheroe pulled a goal back four minutes from time when Tom Williams netted from close range to set up a nervous last few minutes.

Six minutes of added time were signalled to add to the pressure, but it was Wakefield who increased their advantage in the fifth minute of added time. A break from a Clitheroe attack saw the ball find its way to Shooter who raced clear before turning inside the recovering defenders and curling an excellent shot into the bottom corner from 18 yards.

There was still time for further drama as Clitheroe were awarded a penalty which was put away by Jack Higgins with the last kick of the game.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Adam Jones

Wakefield: Zolna, Nicholson, Tonks, Roberts, Milnes (c), Stansfield, Kane (Ferguson 80), Jones, South, Kyriacou (Shooter 72), Hunter. Subs Not Used: Glavin, Horton, Shirtliff.


Feb 1st 2011

Radcliffe Borough Game Abandoned

Wakefield's home game against Radcliffe Borough was abandoned after 7 minutes due to floodlight failure.


Jan 25th 2011

Wakefield 3 Mossley 2

Wakefield continued their good form as three early goals saw them see off Mossley, despite a nervous final ten minutes.

An unchanged Bears side raced into the lead in the twelfth minute when Tom Denton coolly slotted away a penalty after Brandon Kane had been felled in the area.

A header back from Denton found Wes Milnes who picked himself to convert at the second attempt and double Wakefield's advantage.

Minutes later Denton superbly nodded in an excellent right wing cross to make the score 3-0 and leave Mossley with a mountain to climb.

A penalty from Matty Kay pulled one goal back for Mossley before half time after Adam Jones was adjudged to have handled in the area.

The second half was a more even affair, although Mossley struggled to break down a solid Wakefield defence and were limited to half chances on goal.

Jones conceded another penalty with 12 minutes remaining which Matty Kay duly converted to set up a tense finale, but The Bears hung on for the three points.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Tom Denton

Wakefield: Zolna, Nicholson, Tonks, Roberts, Milnes (c), Stansfield, McGuire (Shooter 42), Jones (Shirtliff 81), South, Denton (Kyriacou 88), Kane. Subs Not Used: Brooke, Hunter.


Jan 20th 2011

Football and The Moon!

Probably the two worst footballing World Cup’s have been held in new places. 2002 South Korea and Japan and 2010 in South Africa.

The first not memorable for anything really, the second remembered for by an annoying horn blown by a half filled stadium at every game. Poor football, poor followings a minimum 10 hour flight for the rest of the football community and really very little for us Europeans to connect with.

So what’s it all about? I thought the World Cup was a celebration of football, hosted by nations that influence the sport and make it what it is, rather than the politics? A celebration of South American/Latin flair coupled with the competitive and strategic know how of the European game? I must be wrong.

This isn’t Formula 1. Formula 1, led by the vision of the diminutive Bernie Ecclestone had to go to places new to create a huge brand. It was way behind football in terms of followers, and always will be. Football doesn’t need to go down that route does it? It was the best way forward for F1, and Ecclestone should be congratulated for the profile raising of F1. Ok he’s made himself a billion or so in the process, but it has been for the greater good of the sport. A win-win if you will. International football, as we knew it, has been dealt a severe blow, and it looks like for generations to come.

Looking back at great World Cup’s-Argentina ’78, Mexico ’86, Spain ’82, France ’98 and in particular from a late 30’s Englishman’s point of view, Italia ’90. The last, great World Cup will be in Brazil, 2014. I fully intend to go as for me, that’s the end of the World Cup. By the time FIFA have had their way and the WC has been to Russia, Qatar, China, India, Greenland, The Antarctic and the Moon I’ll be in a stationary position six feet under. And all those competition’s will be of poor football quality. Europe and the America’s is where it’s at. Imagine hosting the FA Cup final at Worksop because it can build a stadium to house one 100,000 people on the promise of a ‘legacy’ for years to come for the 39,000 people who live there.

The reasons for appointing Russia and Qatar, two Petrodollar oil states aren’t really very clear. “Why not just put the cash in the bag and be over with it?” I heard one commentator say. That cash might not have been delivered to the nations who mattered on FIFA’s executive committee in such crude fashion but it still got to them.
It might not be concrete evidence of corruption, but it looks a plain old inducement by any other name to me. Legacy? Qatar has a population of 1.7m, half the size of Wales, and have said they will take their stadiums down and send them to Africa once the competition is over. Perhaps the Swiss dictionary definition of ‘legacy’ varies to the Oxford English Dictionary definition? It certainly can’t be a World Cup for the environmental campaigners, massive air conditioning units will be needed to cool down the 50 degree heat within the stadiums. I wouldn’t be able to take my girlfriend either as I’m unsure how the ladies will be treated-if allowed in at all. A few ales whilst watching the game will probably be out, it’s mainly a dry state due to the religious beliefs. Imagine the fun that football fans could have had making holiday plans for the United States or Australia: huge nations with inexhaustible options for things to do before, during or after the football.

It looks like Russia knew it was getting 2018. Putin didn’t bother turning up-no need, and looking at Prince William’s face before the announcement-he already knew. Reports suggest they knew 24 hours beforehand, about the same time as Wikileaks announced that the leader of Mother Russia knew all about the planned execution of Alexander Litvinenko in London. So for how long did Qatar know before the announcement? The manner of Qatar’s advertising campaign was that more of a tourist information board. They knew they had it. I knew they had it. They were already preparing for it. The $125m sponsorship of Barcelona advertising the Qatar Foundation? Shame on you Barca, for selling out. The Unicef sponsorship was a great example, lead by one of the World’s greatest football club’s-but now they too have sold out. So who else sold out? Zinedine Zidane picked up a cool $15m for his part in the TV advert and FIFA have almost certainly sold the game. Blatter and his cronies (how many of them would you trust to babysit your kids?-when you get back they too had probably been sold-or at least an organ will be missing!) have lined their pockets (according to investigative TV programs) and their families will be looked after for generations to come. And their mistresses.

Having said all that, money has dominated the sport in England and has changed the game from the way we knew it pre Premier League. Agents fees, the biggest clubs being mortgaged to the hilt, massive TV rights and gigantic player’s salaries. However it has been for the benefit of the football we watch, and the rest of the world watches. The Premier League is the most popular league in the world, by some distance. Why? Because it is played out in front of some of the world’s most passionate fans, within a culture that has been created over many generations and it has the best players in it (with the exception of a splattering at Barcelona).

The 2018 World Cup bid which we put together, was in my mind exceptional. It was delivered as well as any commercial presentation I have ever seen. The World Cup in England would have been the best for football. Instead we (again) go to a dangerous country and will have to fly between 11 time zones if we are to watch a good spread of football. That won’t be cheap either. Getting in also won’t be cheap. Not just to the games, but into the country, as a visa will be required for each entrant. Only the Lord knows why, as you won’t want to stay there once the competition is over!

But in England football is our culture. I’d even go as far to say it is a religion, followed by a massive percentage of the population who go watch or stay at home and watch football. It is not class defined. The active head of the FA is royalty. Big Daz who comes down to watch non league football with ketchup down his shirt, is not. But they clearly both love the game, and that will never go away in any of us.

Like it or not, it is ingrained into our society and has been for well over 100 years. It is almost genetic, passed down through the generations to both males and females. It is the same in Brazil, Germany, Holland, Spain, Argentina, Mexico, France, Chile, Peru and Poland. These World Cup’s have not been awarded for the benefit of those who have made the game a great one.

So where does that leave us? Well, licking our wounds and damaged pride in the first instance, but once you sit back and have a look, we shouldn’t get too upset. We still have a great culture in which we can enjoy watching and playing football. It’s a shame other populous will not be able to sample it, but we can still enjoy it. If you want to really enjoy football at it’s cultural best, then a regular trip to non-league football is a must. You can have a pie and a pint, not get hassled and watch some good, honest, down to earth football. Or if you prefer the glitz and the magnificent stadium’s then head off to professional football-either way the English game can accommodate and satisfy all types of fans. It’s just a shame Blatter and the boys refused to acknowledge that absolute fact!


Jan 18th 2011

Super Bears Beat Clitheroe

Wakefield earned a 1-0 home win against Clitheroe after a superb performance at College Grove.

Wakefield enjoyed the better of the first half possession and went close to scoring through Paddy McGuire's free kick that curled just over and Marc Roberts low shot that hit the outside of the post.

Captain Wes Milnes gave Wakefield a deserved lead five minutes before half time when he headed in a right wing corner.

Clitheroe came at Wakefield in the second half, but The Bears withstood the intense pressure to hold out for the three points.

The visitors hit the post and Jan Zolna was in top form to deny them on more than one occasion.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Wes Milnes

Wakefield: Zolna, Nicholson, Tonks (Brooke 63), Roberts, Milnes (c), Stansfield, McGuire, Jones, South, Denton (Kyriacou 61), Kane (Hunter 74). Subs Not Used: Glavin, Shirtliff.


Jan 15th 2011

10 Man Wakefield Lose at Chester

Wakefield fell to a 3-1 defeat at league leaders Chester, after playing for the majority of the game with ten men.

Wakefield had the better of the early exchanges with strikers Tom Denton and Danny South causing the Chester defence problems in windy conditions in the North West.

But the game changed inside 15 minutes when Denton was shown a red card for raising his arms after a scuffle with George Horan in the penalty area whilst waiting for a free kick to be taken. Horan escaped with only a booking.

Wakefield continued to stop Chester from playing football, with the home side making several poor placed passes and giving the ball away far too often.

James McCarthy had a "goal" chalked off for offside on twenty minutes, as Chester began to try and push forward.

Chester took the lead on the stroke of half time when Bradley Barnes flicked the ball into the far corner.

Michael Wilde scored Chester's second goal with a header just before the hour mark and substitute Robbie Booth scored a third with another header with 12 minutes left.

Brandon Kane grabbed a late consolation for Wakefield when he dispossesed a Chester defender before coolly slotting home.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Adam Jones

Wakefield: Zolna, Nicholson, Tonks, Roberts, Milnes (c), Stansfield, McGurie, Jones (Woodhead 84), South (Kane 58), Denton, Hunter (Brooke 64). Sub Not Used: Glavin.


Jan 3rd 2011

Leigh Genesis 0 Wakefield 1

Wakefield picked up a valuable three points with a narrow victory at basement side Leigh Genesis.

Wakefield were missing both Wes Milnes and Rob Tonks through work commitments, with Demi Kyriacou and Ashley Brooke slotting into the back four, in the only two changes made to the side that drew with Ossett Albion on Saturday.

Wakefield scored what proved to be the only goal of the game in the 13th minute when Patrick McGuire slotted home a loose ball after a ball into the box was only half punched clear by Leigh goalkeeper Adam Judge.

Leigh packed midfield in an attempt to out battle The Bears and get the ball forward, but they had little end product with Wakefield goalkeeper Jan Zolna having very little to do.

The young Leigh side became more comfortable as the game wore on and began to exert some late pressure on the Wakefield goal. Zolna made a good save to deny Ali Asgari from a rare chance for the home side.

Leigh continuosly pumped the ball into the box in the closing stages, but the Wakefield defence stood firm and dealt well with everything that was thrown at them to hold out for the three points.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Patrick McGuire

Wakefield: Zolna, Nicholson, Brooke, McGuire, Kyriacou, Stansfield (c), Kane, Jones (Glavin 70), South (Shirtliff 55), Denton (Woodhead 86), Hunter. Sub Not Used: Roberts.


Jan 1st 2011

Wakefield 1 Ossett Albion 1

Wakefield came from behind to draw 1-1 with Ossett Albion in the local derby fixture between two sides both struggling at the foot of the table.

Wakefield were the better side for the opening twenty minutes, but it was Ossett who took the lead when Lee Bennett stole in unmarked to head the ball past Jan Zolna.

The rest of the first half was pretty even, with both sides struggling to create chances.

In the second period, the game became a tense battle with both sides wanting to pick up the three points. Wakefield found an equaliser with twenty minutes remaining when winger Lawrance Hunter arrived at the far post to convert a low ball across goal.

Ossett were reduced to ten men when Mark Ryan was dismissed for a horrendous challenge on Danny South.

Both teams had chances to win the game, with Ossett guilty of not converting several breakaways and Wakefield unable to put the ball in the net from any of the numerous balls into the box that were sent over.

Wakefield FC Man of the Match: Lawrance Hunter

Wakefield: Zolna, Nicholson, Tonks, McGuire, Milnes (c), Stansfield, Kane, Jones, South, Denton, Hunter. Subs not Used: Kyriacou, Glavin, Shirtliff, Brooke, Roberts.